- The Kennel Club Limited (we or us) is committed to protecting your personal information and respecting your privacy.
- This Privacy Notice, together with any other documents referred to in it, sets out the basis on which any personal data that we collect from or about you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us.
- For the purpose of the General Data Protection Regulation [Regulation (EU) 2016/679], the data controller is The Kennel Club Limited (company number 8217778), whose registered office is 10 Clarges Street, Piccadilly, London W1J 8AB.
- We may update this Privacy Notice from time to time. Any changes we make in the future will be posted on our website at https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/privacy-policy/. Please check back regularly to see any updates or changes to this Policy.
2. Data Protection Team
The contact details for our Data Protection Team are as follows:
01296 318 540
The Kennel Club, 10 Clarges Street, London, W1J 8AB
It is the responsibility of the Data Protection Team to keep our organisation and our staff informed and advised about their obligations to comply with data protection laws, to monitor compliance with those laws, to train staff and conduct internal audits, and to be the first point of contact for supervisory authorities and for individuals whose personal data we are processing.
3. Particulars of processing
We process personal data about the Kennel Club’s stakeholders (this means Kennel Club members, Kennel Club registered dog breeders, owners, Petlog registrants, Kennel Club licensed event entrants (all competitors including show classes, field trials, gundog working tests, obedience, working trials, agility, flyball, heelwork to music, rally and canicross races), visitors to our website or to Kennel Club events, and individuals and organisations with whom we work collaboratively) in a range of ways, and for a range of purposes.
The categories of person about whom we process personal data are described in more detail in the Particulars of Processing that are set out in the Schedules to this Privacy Notice.
It may be the case that you have contact with us in more than one capacity, so please read this notice and then look at all the relevant schedules that may apply to you if you wish to know more about how we process your personal data, including the purposes and legal basis.
The specific Schedules are as follows:
- Kennel Club Members, Associates and Affiliates [Schedule 1];
- Young Kennel Club Members [Schedule 2];
- Breeder and Owners of Kennel Club Registered Dogs [Schedule 3];
- Kennel Club Assured Breeders [Schedule 4];
- Petlog Registrants (Breeders, Keepers, Implanters and Authorised Agents) [Schedule 5];
- Exhibitors/Competitors at Kennel Club Events [Schedule 6];
- Kennel Club Approved Judges [Schedule 7];
- Visitors to Crufts and Discover Dogs [Schedule 8];
- Kennel Club Registered Clubs & Societies and Listed Status Clubs [Schedule 9];
- Kennel Club Rescue Organisation Representatives [Schedule 10];
- KCAI Scheme Members [Schedule 11];
- Good Citizen Dog Scheme Members [Schedule 12];
- Education & Training Users and Providers [Schedule 13];
- Kennel Club Academy Users [Schedule 14];
- Kennel Club Shop Users [Schedule 15];
- Subscribers to Publications & Newsletters [Schedule 16];
- Kennel Club Library Users [Schedule 17];
- Kennel Club Liaison Council Members [Schedule 18].
Note – we will use personal data sometimes for statistical purposes but retain anonymity so you cannot be identified.
4. Your rights as a data subject
This Section 4 sets out the rights that you have as a data subject, by reason of the General Data Protection Regulation.
The General Data Protection Regulation provides the following rights (subject to some exemptions):
- The right to request access to the personal data that we hold about you;
- The right to request rectification of the personal data that we hold about you;
- The right to request erasure of the personal data that we hold about you;
- The right to request restriction of processing about you;
- The right to object to processing; and
- The right to data portability.
If you wish to exercise any of the above rights, please notify our Data Protection Department using the contact details set out in Section 2 above. Please include the words DATA PRIVACY REQUEST in the subject line of your email, or at the top of your letter.
The Kennel Club will generally process your personal data for contractual necessity in providing our products and services or its legitimate interests. The Kennel Club will use personal information for additional relevant purposes where you might reasonably expect us to do so, where the benefits of doing so are not outweighed by your own interests or fundamental rights or freedoms. The law calls this the “Legitimate Interests” condition for processing. Where we rely on it, the benefits being pursued are:
- To monitor, analyse and improve our services and websites, including enhancing and personalising your customer service
- Complying with/supporting compliance with legal and regulatory requirements.
- Internal training purposes.
- To maintain our records and other administrative purposes, including updating your details and preferences.
- To assist with queries, complaints and dispute resolution; including transmission of email enquiries to breeders, judges, clubs etc. coming via contact forms from traffic from the Kennel Club website portal (please be assured that email addresses published on the website can be redacted upon request).
- Helping to prevent and detect crime such as animal welfare offences, trading standards offences and fraud and money laundering.
- To improve data accuracy and completeness - when you register for our services you may supply us with additional information about yourself which we will use to improve our data accuracy and completeness.
- To ensure network and account security.
- Email tracking – in order to improve our communications with you.
- Invitations to participate in canine market research or canine health studies - in order to improve the health and welfare of dogs and/or to improve our services; we may ask you to participate in research for time to time. This may be with partnered respected research organisations and universities.
- Upholding Kennel Club regulations to which relevant data subjects are under contract to adhere to and taking disciplinary action in cases where these are breached.
Where we ask for your consent this will usually be for marketing purposes by email. Where our processing of personal data is based on your having given consent, you have the right as a data subject to withdraw that consent at any time. Please note that the withdrawal of your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing based on that consent before its withdrawal.
If you wish to invoke this right, please notify our Data Protection Department using the contact details set out in Section 2 above. Please include the words DATA PRIVACY REQUEST in the subject line of your email, or at the top of your letter.
You have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority. In the United Kingdom, the supervisory authority is the Office of the Information Commissioner, full contact details for which can be found at https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/
5. Retention of Data
We will only retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting or reporting requirements. To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data we consider the amount, nature and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
6. Recipients of Data
We use service providers to help us provide you with our services. Personal data may be transferred to these outsourced data processors, who act for or on our behalf, for further processing in accordance with the purpose(s) for which the data were originally collected or may otherwise be lawfully processed. We only disclose your data to third parties for a limited number of reasons, these include: services delivery, communications, marketing, data management, technical support, evaluating our services and processing payments.
Such third parties have contracted with us as data processors under the requirements in the GDPR. They are contractually bound to only use personal data for the agreed purpose(s). Relevant persons working for these third parties will have access to your personal data under the terms of the data processor contract, but only to the extent necessary to perform their services for us.
In appropriate circumstances we may disclose data to authorised bodies as required by law.
7. Visitors to Kennel Club websites
- Log-in preferences.
- Google Analytics: to collect information about visitor behaviour on our websites. This analytics data is not tied to personally identifiable information. We do not collect or store your personal information (e.g. your name or address) so this information cannot be used to identify who you are.
- Banner advertising: whether you have seen an advert and how ling since you have seen it.
- Tracking PPC campaigns.
- Facebook Custom Audience Pixel: to provide targeted advertising on Facebook.
We collect these cookies as a legitimate interest in order to provide you with our online services and to analyse visitor behaviour on our websites.
Cookie information is held on your browser and you can amend your browser settings at any time. However, please be aware that blocking or deleting all cookies will affect the usability of our websites.
8. Facebook Custom Audience Ads
We may work with Facebook to display interest-based ads to you or to your friends on Facebook through a tool offered by Facebook called the Custom Audience Tool. This tool allows us to personalise our ads based on you or your friends’ experience on our services in order to provide ads tailored for each specific recipient.
We do not share personal information with Facebook, but we share a hashed email address which permits Facebook to identify our advertising audience based on the information that Facebook collects from its users. If you do not want to receive interest-based ads on Facebook, you can adjust your ad preferences through your Facebook settings. If you do not want us to use your content to personalise advertising that we direct to your friends on Facebook, please contact our Data Protection Team at the contact details provided
9. Contact details
You can contact us at the Data Protection Team details above if you have any questions or concerns about personal data and privacy matters.
Please include the words DATA PRIVACY REQUEST in the subject line of your email, or at the top of your letter.