- Show Date: 09/07/2023
- Show Type: Championship Show
- Judged by: Naomi Cowley Contact Judge
- Published Date: 18/08/2023
East Of England Agricultural Society
East of England Agricultural Show, Sunday 9th July 2023
Afghan Hounds Critique- Judge Naomi Cowley
Firstly, I would like to thank the committee of East of England Agricultural Show for inviting me to award my first set of tickets and for all their hard work putting on an exceptional show. It was a day I will cherish and I appreciate the support of all those that made it possible, from my mentors for the years of teaching, to the exhibitors that brought their precious hounds and to my two ring stewards for keeping my ring running flawlessly. I was pleased with the overall quality of my entry but particularly the bitches, where I’d have happily awarded any of the limit and open bitches a “green edge card” and I look forward to seeing how these bitches enhance the next generation!
Minor Puppy Dog (0/0)
Puppy Dog (3/1)
1. Zendushkas Amarillo (Ms M & Mrs N Hitch) 10 month old black masked gold who is full of promise. Excellent head and eye hidden with a full face of monkey whiskers. Long neck into well laid shoulders. Moderate body length with short loin, good angulation front and back. Level topline with correct tail set and ring but needs time to fill his frame. He moves with style showing a light springy gait and just the right amount of mischief. In excellent condition with correct coat texture. Best Puppy in Breed.
2. Affyneeta Rhapsody in Blue (Mrs J Sharp) Cream Domino, more refined than winner and would prefer slightly more underjaw but he has a fabulous dark eye. Well balanced and used his angulation to produce steady and sound movement. In good coat condition and already presenting a natural saddle.
Junior Dog (7/0)
1. Merrick Prince Charming Cloudside (Imp Fin) (Mr W Moore) Cream male of excellent type, good head shape with an excellent eye and pigmentation. Good length of neck into correct front assembly, excellent angulation with good return of upper arm with matching rear with good sweep. Well sprung ribs with correct depth of chest, excellent top line with prominent pin bones and good fallaway finished with a ringed tail. Although he is a pleasure to go over, he really comes into his own on the move and showed not only the balance on profile with reach and drive but the soundness I was looking for on the straight up and back. I considered him for top honours and I’m certain his day will come with maturity.
2. Shahfoladi Thunderbird (ai) (Ms M Gizewska) Black and cream male with one of the best heads of the day, correct proportions and length of foreface, nice dark eye and good underjaw. Moderate length of neck into well laid shoulders, balanced angulation with good leg to body ratio. He needs to settle more into his frame on the move and learn to use what he has but light springy movement can be seen in glimpse.
3. Katanga's God of Thunder (Mr R J & Miss C Gunn)
Yearling Dog (1/0)
1. Katanga’s Captain America (Ms Debi James) unplaced in junior, a change of handler did this 13 month old black dog a world of good. masculine head with strong neck, good angulation front and back which he used well but needs to tighten up which should come with age.
Graduate Dog (3/1)
1. Saxonmill Majic Moment at Khatira (Miss C M Parker) Black and tan male of excellent type and size. Pleasing head with good length of foreface, long strong neck into well laid shoulder, good angulation front and rear. He has a light effortless movement but I’d like him to use the reach and drive he is capable of a little more as he has all the makings of a champion.
2. El Roalito Keep Smiling (Imp Deu) (Ms R Mullen) 4 year old male, smaller than first and more refined throughout. He could do with losing some weight as it’s affecting his shape and movement but is very clean and sound on the move.
Post Graduate Dog (2/0)
1. Saxonmill Majic Me Danwish (Miss T Gardner) 2 year old black and tan, strong male with plenty of substance. His head is a little on the heavy side for me but the strength and power throughout this dogs body is impressive and he has the muscle tone to go with it! I’ve never felt condition like it and is a credit to the dedication that goes into him. He has excellent angulation and good return of upper arm, good depth of chest, strong loin with pin bones and correct fall away. He looked like he could run all day with reach and drive.
2. Absolute Afghans Djibouti at Karnak JW (Imp Nor) (Miss M & Mrs B Hills & Thornton) Unlucky to meet my winner. Pleasing head with good eye and underjaw, this boy is sound, honest and moderate throughout. Presented well.
Mid Limit Dog (4/0)
1. Calamus Forever Together (Imp Pol) (Dr F Stabile) Stylish 4 year old black brindle, with attitude by the bucketful! Masculine head with good eye and underjaw, he looks straight through you but I’d like a touch more stop. Long strong neck into correct front assembly, excellent top line, prominent pin bones and good fall away. Good sweep and length from hip to hock. He commanded the ring with balance, reach and drive with clean movement front and rear. Presented and handled to perfection.
2. Drishaun Pictures of Lily (Mrs A M, Mr M & Miss C Lancashire & O'Donnell) on the stack I thought this male would be my winner, he is a classic Afghan from head to toe and litter brother to my ticket winner. He has a good head but could benefit from a touch more definition, beautiful eye shape and punishing underjaw. Perfect outline with excellent angulation, well sprung ribs with good chest, strong broad loin finished with the perfect tail. Unfortunately, he was a little unsettled on the move which cost him the class but the overall quality of this male could not be overlooked.
3. Calamus Devil in Disguise (Imp Pol) (Mrs J Walsh)
Limit Dog (2/0)
1. Zandahar Xtraordinary Me at Zinzani JW (Mr S & Mrs E Finch & Hopper) 4 year old compact black male, Strong head with good dark eye, moderate length of neck, good angulation front and rear but would prefer more length in body, good pin bones and fallaway with a nice ring tail. He comes into his own on the move and commands attention.
2. Karagez Tame The World (Imp Rus) (Mrs D Abrey) Black brindle, taller and of longer cast. Good head with nice length of foreface. Strong neck good angulation front and rear, didn’t have the showmanship of 1 but moved well.
Open Dog (7/0)
1. Ch Drishaun The Vampire Lily via Gothika JW (Mr R C & Mrs J A Thompson) This shaded masked gold gives the impression of strength and dignity, all hound in his prime at 5 years old. A beautiful headpiece, dark eye, good underjaw and chiselling. Long strong neck that leads into excellent front assembly, good depth of chest and well sprung ribs. Level topline with broad loin, excellent sweep in the rear to match the front. He stood proud over his front portraying a classic shape with prominent pin bones and the perfect ringed tail. His movement flawless with no exaggeration, so true coming and going, just the functional hound I was looking for. Shown in excellent condition. Pleased to award him the CC and undeniably Best of Breed.
2. Ch Popovs Aladdin at Sarakhan (Imp Nld) (Mr & Mrs C Pascoe) Another of exceptional quality and remarks similar to 1, excellent head, with good eye shape. Moderate length of neck into excellent front assembly, good depth of chest and matching rear, moved around the ring with soundness and ease but I preferred the tail on first. Completely deserved the RCC and a worthy champion!
3. Ch Gezancol Never Say Never at Harlextan (G, J, C & B Parsell, Beanland, Parsell & Thornton) completed a trio of beautiful gold males of exceptional quality.
Veteran Dog (1/0)
1. Garamond Cloudberry for Tokando (Mr C S & Mrs S S Winters) 10 ½ year old black brindle who is in excellent condition for his age, pleasing head with good chiselling. Nice neck into good front assembly, excellent top line and still moves with a light and easy action.
Special Beginners Dog (1/0)
1. Calamus Devil in Disguise (Imp Pol) (Mrs J Walsh) a very sound and honest dog, refined head with good eye. Compact type and perfectly balanced with good angulation front and rear. The more this dog moves the more he settles into his frame and uses what he has. Pleased to hear he went SBG4.
Minor Puppy Bitch (1/0)
1. Alaqadar Ariodante of Shadowfax (imp) NAF TAF (Mrs S M Rhodes) 6 month brindle bitch who’s attitude and character stole a little bit of my heart. She has a feminine head and eye and a beautiful shape to match. Excellent angulation front and rear with good depth for one so young. She moves around the ring with such style I have no doubt she will be one to watch, a show girl through and through and unlucky to meet the winner of puppy bitch class on maturity.
Puppy Bitch (3/0)
1. Altside Hot Shot at Arushkhan (Mr T & Mrs J Scott) Feminine and houndy this cream bitch is of excellent type. She has lovely length to her head with correct eye. Long neck into excellent front, strong topline and good length of loin. She has excellent sweep to match her front assembly which gives her effortless and balanced movement. Light on her feet she has lovely reach and drive, a true hound. She was giving her handler quite the run around at times but her qualities shine through the mischief. Best Puppy Bitch.
2. Pramya Keep Your Eyes On Me (Imp Fin) (Mrs S Bellringer) 11 month gold bitch, not as compact as 1 she has a good head and neck, well balanced angulation and moves soundly. She seemed a little uneasy especially on the stack, losing her shape, which cost her today but another very nice puppy.
Junior Bitch (1/0)
1. Katanga’s Jessica Jones (Miss A Smith) although this black and cream stood alone she was a worthy winner. Pleasing head with good length of neck. Well-proportioned throughout, good topline and fallaway. Light and easy on her feet, she comes into her own on the move. Presented in excellent condition.
Yearling Bitch (0/0)
Graduate Bitch (1/0)
1. Ayoubkhan Porcelain Dove (Mrs N Humphreys) Pretty cream bitch with excellent eye, long neck into good front and rear assembly. Strong topline and nice fallaway, balanced movement and true coming and going.
Post Graduate Bitch (4/1)
1. Absolute Afghan's India at Karnak (Imp Nor) (Mrs W, Mrs B & Mr G Mitchell, Thornton & Smithson) black masked gold of classic shape, excellent head and good expression, good angulation front and rear which she uses well on the move. Shown in excellent coat condition.
2. Rhajikhan Aurora (Mrs S J Edwards) Brindle bitch with a good head and excellent expression, Excellent angulation and moved with reach and drive. Unfortunately was uncooperative on the stack.
3. Altside Hot Gossip (Mr L Beavon)
Mid Limit Bitch (1/0)
1. Syrdarya Ceylon Chai Drishaun (Mrs A M, Mr M & Miss C Lancashire & O'Donnell) Red bitch who was presented with the most sensational deep red natural coat pattern. Good head and excellent eye. Nice proportions with excellent outline, unfortunately moved a little low to the ground losing that lightness in movement I was looking for but showed good reach and drive.
Limit Bitch (6/1)
1. Saxonmill Mirror Image (Miss C & Miss A Dowd & Malia) This 2 year old black and tan bitch is just my cup of tea and headed a very strong limit class. Beautiful head and expression, houndy in type, she is beautiful to go over. Excellent front and rear assembly, well sprung ribs and good length of loin. She moves with reach and drive with a lovely light action finished with a ring tail. Pleased to award her the CC and her crown but lost out on Best of Breed through maturity. No doubt she will be a top winner.
2. Unstoppable Happy Go Lucky (Imp Swe) (ai) (Mr B & Mrs N Hedge) 4 year old black bitch who I liked a lot! Slightly more compact than one but perfectly proportioned. Excellent head with good underjaw. Strong neck leading into well laid shoulders, excellent angulation front and rear, strong topline and good fallaway. On the move she seemed distracted which cost her top awards today but has a lovely light clean action. I’m sure she will gain her crown!
3. Calahorra Moonlite N Dreams of Tico at Alouann (Imp Aus) (Miss E, Ms C & Mrs L Millward, Millward & Race)
Open Bitch (4/1)
1. Ch Saxonmill Majic Mirror (Mrs R Hall) litter sister to my CC winner she has many of the same attributes and the quality you come to expect from this kennel. She is more compact than her sister which was ultimately the deciding factor between these two bitches on the day. Excellent head leading into a powerful front assembly, pleasing outline and excellent rear angulation. She moves with style and balance. Pleased to award her the RCC.
2. Ch Popovs Sazerac at Sarakhan (Imp Nld) JW (Mrs R Tromp) A bitch I judged when she was younger and she has matured into a classic example of the breed. Excellent head which she carries proudly, good front and rear assembly with excellent top line and fallaway. Excellent coat and condition and gave 1st a run for her money.
3. Ch Drishaun Faith Is Like A Lily for Javidan JW (Miss L & Ms C O'Donnell) finished a superb open class to judge.
Veteran Bitch (2/1)
1. Ch/ir/ned/int Ch Popovs Bora Bora at Orashan JW (Imp Nld) (Mrs G A Link ) Black masked gold who had all the mischief of a puppy today not showing her age at all! Good head with nice length of neck, good front and rear, well sprung ribs and excellent outline. Moved well. Pleased to award her BVIB.