- Show Date: 31/07/2022
- Show Type: Open/Limited/Sanction
- Judged by: jenny campbell Contact Judge
- Published Date: 28/07/2023
Southampton & District Canine Association
Thank you to all the Committee for inviting me to judge the Gundog Group and several gundog breeds at your wonderfully organised show. You deserved your entry of almost 900, well done. My Stewards Mike and Abby were excellent, and I was blessed with some lovely quality dogs to go over. My day was topped off with my Gundog Group winner – a gorgeous English Setter – going Best in Show under judge Brigette Bodle.
It was a pleasure to judge the Gundog Group at Southampton Show. Overall all the breeds represented were of super quality so in my winners I was looking for the dogs that excelled in movement and ring presence. I had already gone over a number of the dogs in the breed and AV classes and knew which of those drew my eye. When all the breed winners entered the ring, of the new dogs I had not seen previously my eye was immediately drawn to the graceful and elegant movement of the English Setter and I just thought ‘wow, I love her’. As I went over her I was not disappointed. Feminine from nose to tail, soft expression in a well moulded head, good length of neck into well placed shoulders, elbows close to ribcage, moderately sprung ribs, standing all four-square on neat tight well arched feet, level topline, hindquarters well muscled, tail straight off the back. Coat was in beautiful condition. She moved true fore and aft, and covered the ground well as she powered around the ring. G1 Loakes’ Sh Ch Goldbirch Wings Of Desire JW ShCM ShCEx I was delighted to later see her go Best In Show, well done.
G2 Kirby’s English Springer Trimere Turn Bank Time my BOB winner of the breed classes
G3 Rofe’s Cocker Spaniel Villaspaniol Sunny Delight my BOB winner of the breed classes
G4 Bellamy’s Flatcoated Retriever Bochilbarley Blue Moon (AI) BOB winner of my AVNSC Gundog.
Gundog Puppy Group
G1 Perren & Welch’s Pointer Eveluna Chasing Rainbows with Hookwood my favourite puppy of the day and I had no hesitation in awarding him this Group.
G2 Weyman’s English Springer Spuffing Prosecco BP liked him from the breed class I judged
G3 Stone’s Welsh Springer Spaniel Kidenoan Mark Time for Merrem liked him from the AVNSC Gundog class I judged
G4 Rackett’s Vizla Roughshoot Heaven Sent of Solencia like him from the breed class
1. Rackett’s Roughshoot Heaven Sent of Solencia BP & RBOB. This 9 month old boy struck me as he entered the ring with confidence, already well developed, kind but noble head, nice hazel eye, well boned, good front and overall balanced, strong loin, moved true and confidently, well handled. Later my PG4.
2. Harper’s Pitswarren Siyon. 9 ½ month old bitch not quite as confident as 1 but a lot to like, pretty head into long neck, feminine outline, moderate angulation, tight well arched feet, graceful movement.
3. Harper’s Pitswarren So Nex Century
Post Graduate (2,0)
1. Bailiff’s Oroshaza Iren at Cazadorado, 18 month old bitch, lovely dark russet gold, sweet disposition, pretty head and eye, strong neck, good front angulation, well balanced, strong in back and loin, moved well.
2. Harper’s Pitswarren So Nex Century 3rd in Puppy, 9 ½ months old dog, giving away in age and maturity to the class winner and lighter in colour, a little leggy at this stage, time will mature him so he is more balanced but the outline is there, movement ok.
1. Ward’s Danton Obsession With Tantaraviz BOB nice bitch coming up to 3 years who flowed around the ring 1st time round, very stylish, moved with power yet gracefulness, well balanced, good muscle tone, sweet head, very well handled. Considered for higher honours in the Group.
2. Challis’ Vizslanya Aragonia JW dark russet boy with ring presence but not quite the same drive as 1. Masculine head, strong shoulders into well arched ribs and strong loin, longer and more angulated at the back than 1.
3. Gregory’s Nevedith Nauru Breeze
1. Anderson’s Hollieseast Chanel Chic BP & BOB, really liked this lovely 7 months young bitch nice as she floated effortlessly round the ring 1st time around. Paler in colour, elegant head and expression, super balance and muscled tone, clean cut moderately long neck, forelegs straight and strong, moderately angulated hindquarters, firm compact feet, well handled. Considered for higher honours in the Puppy Group.
2. Rowles’ Amorous Archie, 11 month old dog gave his handler a hard time, refusing to cooperate although got better through the class but difficult to assess. Substantial male and darker coloured, he has a masculine head, is well bodied up, moderately angulated, tight well arched feet. More practice will show him off better.
Post Graduate (0)
1. Marsh’s Gunalt Escapade at Comorin RBOB, coming up 8 year old bitch, stood alone, quite substantial and a little sluggish in movement. Sweet face, strong neck into strong forequarters, well bodied, muscular rear. Not handled by owner, a bit unsettled. RBOB.
Puppy ( 2,1)
1. White’s Abbzig Love Me Do at Merrysprings BP stood alone 11m old dark blue roan, compact bitch, very pretty, nicely proportioned, lovely coat, sweet head and eye, elegant neck, all in balance, moved well with a merry action around the ring.
Post Graduate (7,3)
1. Rofe’s Villaspaniol Gild Flash BOB close call between first and second. Initially thought the 2nd would be my winner but the first just had more drive and confidence around the ring at the end. Nice red boy, very definitely male head, presented in immaculate condition, moved so freely around the ring, true fore and aft.
2. Blackley & Salero’s Wightroche The Bee JW black smaller bitch, not quite as together around the ring but still a beautiful bitch, lovely head and kind eye, appear a little close today in her rear movement going away and that together with the overall picture cost her the class
3. Stevens’ Hollundex Crazy Horse
1. Rofe’s Villaspaniol Sunny Delight RBOB 2 ½ year old male Leo who gave his handler a hard time but he had a “joie de vie” about him and a little bit of naughtiness, lovely golden, constantly wagging his tail, moved very well, handsome face, balanced, well presented
2. Griffin’s Griffial’s Rue Herb of Grace, 2 ¼ year old black bitch, all in proportion but not quite the same finish or presence as the first
1. Foster’s Arcticbreeze Breakout BP & RBOB 9m old boy, handler lacked a little confidence but she did very well with him. Lovely head, nice scissor bite, well boned, balanced overall although at the leggy stage at the moment, nice tight coat, happy wagging tail.
Post Graduate (0)
1. McAllister’s Rumolboys Cascade of Fire, brown bitch, very typical of the breed, nicely constructed throughout, stood all 4 square, moved with drive although appeared a little close going away. BOB
SPANIEL (ENGLISH SPRINGER)
1. Weyman’s Spuffing Prosecco BP nice almost 1 year old liver & white bitch, very sweet head going into nice long neck, good front, excellent coat, nice loin, good stifle, stands all four square, moved well round the ring.
Post Graduate (4,1)
1. Libby’s Trimere Taylor Maid at Pinhays RBOB very clean looking stylish springer, moved very well, clean throughout, femine head, elegant neck, drove around the ring, true fore and aft
2. Williams & Toublic’s Cobhay Fancy Philox heavier in the head for a bitch, nice type, balanced, well bodied up, not quite the same finish as 1., moved well
3. Wilson’s Kingsheath Kushida at Cassapple
1. Kirby’s Trimere Turn Back Time BOB close call between 1 and 2 liked them both as they came into the ring, could see that No 2 was more mature but for me No 1 had an elegance of style and a bit more drive, I wrote “more panache”. Both lovely heads and kind eyes, and good shape.
2. Hydon’s Clentonian Pandemonium JW, see above.
3. Weyman’s Spuffing Molly’s Secret
I was very impressed with the number and quality of Welsh Springers that came under me in AVNSC and AV, thank you.
1. Stone’s Spaniel (Welsh Springer) Kidenoan Mark Time for Merrem BP & RBOB. Both nice puppies but at different stages of development. The Welsh was more together today, more mature and moved very well. Really nice kind head, beautiful rich red colouring, nice fore chest, good body well muscled beneath, moderate bend of stifle, presented well.
2. Bellamy’s Retriever (Flatcoated) Bochilbarley Goblet of Fire just at a rangy stage of development at the moment. Nice one piece head flowing into long neck, level topline, good spring of rib, front OK, flowed well around the ring, just a little loose in rear at the moment as he matures.
1. Wareham & Dustan’s Spaniel (Clumber) Maursett Melwyn quite close but I think the Clumber was a little more together today and more expertly handled. Liked a lot, a little haw in the eye which is acceptable, very well presented and very fit, not carrying too much weight as some can, moved with drive
2. Alum’s Italian Spinone Macarica Fair and Square, a nice example of the breed, robust and square, affectionate expression, strong jaw, strong muscular forequarters, also moved with drive although at times the handler struggled a little to present her to her best.
3. Bennett’s Spaniel (Welsh Springer) Cerysan Crusader
Post Graduate (12,4)
1. Shawyer’s Spaniel (Welsh Springer) Menstonia Wish Come True stood out to me as soon as he came in the ring, just had much more energy and looked like a class winner from the beginning, moved with drive. Lovely head with kind expression, good length of neck flowing into strong shoulders, deep brisket, well boned, nice round feet, tail well set on.
2. White’s Spaniel Mymmsbrook Malbec with Fiergen (Welsh Springer), another nice example of the breed just not quite the same finish as the first. Well made head, lean neck, level topline, front OK, well arched ribs, moderate bend of stifle, tail would benefit from some light trimming.
3. Wareham & Dustan’s Spaniel (Clumber) Prestij Nachii Mandarin Shik (Imp Rus)
1. Bellamy’s Retriever (Flatcoated) Bochilbarley Blue Moon (AI) BOB a nice class and therefore the Flatcoat needed that extra something. Presented and handled well he is a mature 4 year old male, lovely one piece head with a kind expression through almond shaped eyes obliquely set, plenty of substance, good chest, level topline, well let down hocks, in really great condition
2. Woodham’s Tobermyn Minstrel Boy, a few nice Welsh Springers in this class, this boy, a veteran, moved the best out of all of them with the most drive. Really good front and overall angulation, handled well.
3. Tubb’s Spaniel (Welsh Springer) Slapestones Tidal Wave for Alsutu
1. Perren & Welch’s Pointer, Eveluna Chasing Rainbows with Hookwood, really liked this almost 1 year old B&W boy as soon as he entered the class, so classy, powered around the ring like he owned it. Truly aristocratic in style and build. Beautiful head, well defined stop, wide nostrils, kindly expression, strong jaws, long muscular neck into strong shoulders, well sprung ribs with back gradually falling away, well muscled hind quarters, covered the ground well. BOB & BP
2. Weyman’s (Welsh Springer) Spuffing Prosecco, liver and white that was my standalone best springer puppy, close up to 1 but just felt that the pointer had the edge on drive and movement, both of them really nice specimens
3. Morrison’s Retriever (Golden) Kayzaelle Kind Spirit
1. Perren & Welch’s Pointer Eveluna Chasing Rainbows with Hookwood, ,my puppy winner, enormous style, really like him a lot
2. Libby’s Trimere Taylor Maid at Pinhays (English Springer) had RBOB from PG in breed classes, lovely example.
3. Scotting’s Spaniel (English Springer) Ashring’s Love Touch for Recondy
Post Graduate (13,8)
1. Parkin’s Pointer Keepersfield Simone well made B&W bitch just had the edge over No 2 in overall movement. Well balanced, good front, sloping back, good tailset, straight front legs, moderate angulation at the rear, tail well set on, distinguished in profile
2. Williams & Toublic’s Spaniel (English Springer) Cobhay Fancy Phlox 2nd in PG in breed class
3. Barham’s Pointer Droveborough’s Mocha Mayhem
1. Williams & Toublic’s Spaniel (English Springer) Cobhay Dazzling Azalea 4th in Open in the breed classes, close decision but I just felt the pointer was pinning in a the front and the springer was most true out of all the movements. 7 year old liver and white bitch, very classical, well constructed and balanced, kind head, strong bone, tight feet.
2. Barham’s Pointer Kenwardgold Minnie Me, another 7 year old bitch, belying her age, very smart in appearance and construction, pretty head, strong quarters, moved well in profile.
3. Watts’ Reriever (Chesapeake Bay) Oakmarsh Freedom