- Date: 24/02/2019
- Show Type: Open/Limited/Sanction
- Judge: Pat Hutchinson Contact Judge
- Published Date: 07/04/2019
Samoyed Breeders & Owners League
Samoyed Breeders & Owners League Open Show, 24 February 2019
Special Award Classes
Thank you to the committee for giving me a further opportunity to judge the Samoyed SAC’s, this time at their Open Show. I had a super entry waiting for me. What a delightful breed Samoyeds are – so happy, confident and full of fun – and always smiling! My main criticism was the lack of front angulation, the main problem being shortness and steepness of upper arm. An upright front portrays a stuffy and unbalanced outline with a shorter than required reach of neck, and such faults cannot give the dog the overall balance and elegance required. However, heads were mostly of correct proportions with flat skulls, good dentition, dark pigmentation and tight lip lines although some dogs’ eyes were over-large and set too straight in the skull giving a foreign expression. Tails were all of good length and carried well. Presentation was good and I thoroughly enjoyed my day at this friendly gathering.
Special Junior D/B (3,1)
1. Mann’s Taronakits It’s Krystal. Promising 8mth b. Very collected and well proportioned throughout for age and in good harsh coat. Good angulation fore and aft, ample reach of neck, good bone and substance and neat feet. Head handled well with flat skull, dark pigmentation, well placed dark eyes, tight lip line and mobile ears giving her a sweet feminine and melting expression to die for! A delightful temperament, she showed off her virtues well and moved soundly, covering the ground freely and gracefully with drive. One to watch. Congratulations on later being awarded BPIS.
2. Willock’s RSM Jch Dynar First Love. Alert 14 mth b, well up to size. Loved her head and expression but she was longer cast with steep upper arm so lacked reach on the move.
Special Post Grad D/B (6,2)
1. Collinson’s Nikara Secret Love By Norjack JW. 18mth b of good breed type. Correct height/length ratio and in great coat of correct weather-proof texture. Pleasing head pattern with dark eye but would prefer them a tad more obliquely set. Fair reach of neck, good bone and substance and depth of chest and strong loin. Good bend of stifle and adequate lay-back of shoulder. An extrovert b, she was ‘all go’ but eventually settled down to move well with good drive.
2. Gulliford’s Rosskaja Show Me The Ice At Zelenska. Typical b of good size and in good coat. Head handled well, good dentition and nice eye, ample bone and substance, depth of chest and straight back though a tad long in loin. Hind angulation sufficient, but steep in upper arm which affected her overall elegance on the move as she lacked reach in front.
3. Cross’ Tiksi Moonglow. D
Special Open D/B (9,2)
1. Mann’s Nikara Secret Dreamer. Elegant and well-balanced b of good breed type with pleasing head and expression, sweet and oblique dark eye, tight lip line and good underjaw. Fair angulation fore and aft, sufficient reach of neck, well ribbed up and short, firm loin. Ample bone and substance and correct feet, and once settled she moved freely with good drive.
2. Howlett’s Tiksi Snowstorm. B of similar type to 1, of correct height/length ratio with short firm loin, good depth of chest and spring of rib though I would prefer slightly more bone. She was straighter in stifle than 1 so lacked the overall freedom of movement.
3. Mann’s Nikara Dream Maker. D
Pat Hutchinson (Judge)