- Date: 06/09/2019
- Show Type: Championship Show
- Judge: Vanessa Cox Contact Judge
- Published Date: 02/11/2020
Richmond Dog Show Society
Richmond Ch show 2019
Hound Veteran Group
I was delighted to be asked to judge this strong hound veteran group and was most impressed with the standard and condition of the dogs present whose ages ranged from just seven to well into their teens and all a credit to their owners. I love judging the oldies and it was a joy to see fit, active and healthy dogs still enjoying their showing and just goes to show how in many breeds full maturity isn’t reached until a more mature age.
1. Brown’s Ch Soletrader Louis Vuitton - Basset Griffon Vendeen (Petit). Super boy, full of character with a well-balanced outline. Pleasing masculine well-proportioned head, strong neck leading into well laid shoulders, good ribbing and firm topline topped off with a harsh jacket. It was on the move that he shone out, sound as a pound, such an easy and sound gait, powering around the ring with a breed typical cheerful disposition.
2. Dufty & Morland’s Ch Triken Never Stop Dreaming - Whippet. A lovely example of the breed, unexaggerated and shown in the best of condition. I liked his shape both standing and on the move. Good head with warm gentle expression and long strong neck, deep chest, well sprung ribs and well ribbed back. Moved easily around the ring.
3. Ellrich’s Ch Malrich Sir Ruff Diamond - Basset Hound. Another top quality dog who absolutely belies his years and in superb condition. Well made throughout with good bone. Handsome masculine head, nicely arched neck, well laid back shoulders, good ribbing and well developed muscular hindquarters. Strode out well, moving happily and confidently around the ring with a proud head carriage.
4. De Souza’s Ch Sufeina Jebel Ali - Saluki. This classy boy has a such an elegant head and gentle expression, lovely arched neck leading into well laid shoulders, deep brisket, good spring of rib and strong hindquarters all giving a pleasing outline. Shown in super coat and condition for his age. Moved out steadily with great dignity.
I also shortlisted the Norwegian Elkhound and the Hamiltonstovare, both lovely examples of their breeds.
Judge: Vanessa Cox (Petitpaws)