- Date: 03/03/2019
- Show Type: Championship Show
- Judge: Karin Linde Klerholm Contact Judge
- Published Date: 07/04/2019
Home Counties American Cocker Club
Judge’s critiques from: Mrs. Karin Linde Klerholm, Sweden
The Home Counties American Cocker Club
Single Breed Championship Show
Sunday March 3rd, 2019
Stoneleigh Park, Warwickshire
First of all, I would like to thank the Home Counties American Cocker Club and Show Committee for inviting me to judge at this prestigious and well organized event. I had two very skillful ring stewards to aid me in the ring, Mr. Williams & Mr. Worgan, who guided me through the day and made my judging process smooth. Also thank you to the kitchen staff who supplied me with a delicious luncheon, helping me to keep my energy levels up throughout the day.
Everyone interprets the standard differently and my placings on the day were very much all coming down to what I feel epitomizes our lovely breed. A plush and well chiselled head with a soft expression, so distinct from all other Spaniel breeds and a body built for endurance both in the show ring as well as in the field, with a good firm topline and a “willing to please” temperament to go with it. That is what I am always on the lookout for when I judge the breed ! I did not have a single questionable temperament at this show, which is GREAT !
In some parts I wish I could be more positive about the overall quality of the exhibits at this show on this day, but sadly TRUE BREED TYPE was lacking in many of the exhibits. Correct heads, with the plushness in muzzle and chiselling under the eyes were unfortunately few and far between. I also had many questionable bites, which do not conform with the standard, asking for a “perfect, regular and complete scissor bite”.
Many of the exhibits carried a less desired topline, dropping off at the croup/tailset. According to the standard, the back should be strong, sloping evenly and slightly downwards from withers to set of tail. This is the hallmark of the American Cocker Spaniel, their outline should be “easy on the eyes” without any interruption.
Now on to my critiques:
MP (7) 1. Bryant & Nelson’s Nasailleen Roosevelt Buff 6 months. Strong, masculine dog. Dark eyes and good muzzle, hope he doesn’t broaden more in skull with age. Good bite, lovely neck and big forechest. Excellent ribcage but slightly long in loin. Well angled both in front and hind quarters. Need to firm down in weight. Moves in harmony and in a happy mood. Excellent coat. Reserve Best Puppy
2. Brannan’s Streak Of Lightning (Imp RUS) TAF 6 months. Correct size for age. Masculine head, well rounded skull and broad muzzle, dark eyes. Good bite. Beautiful neck, good forechest and ribcage. Nice croup and well angled both in front and hind quarters. Excellent temperament and coat.
PD (4, 2a) 1. Bedding’s Sanparti’s Getting Jiggy Vigie With It (IMP) NAF Tricolour 9 months. Masculine all over of correct size, short and compact. Masculine head, hope he doesn’t broaden more in skull with age. Good bite. Excellent neck, good forechest and ribcage. Excellent croup and well set tail. Well angled both in front and hind quarters. Moving freely with a happy attitude. Excellent coat.
2. Wellsted’s Partisky N’Vigie Bottoms Up 10 months , nice size and well proportioned. Slightly feminine in head, dark eyes. OK bite. Sufficient forechest, good neck, ample body to size. Dropping off slightly over the croup. Well angled both in front and hind quarters. Moves with sufficient reach and drive from the side. Nice coat and temperament.
JD (1, 1a) 1. Kirton, Oxbury & Oxbury’s Leader Line Kvinto Star (IMP BLR) Tricolor 12 months, proper size to age. Well proportioned. Masculine head, nice dark eyes. OK Bite. Sufficient neck, lacks in forechest. Long upper arm. Sufficient ribcage. Slightly high in hip-bones, which shows in his topline when he is moving. Well angulated in hind quarters and nice reach and drive. Nice coat for his age.
MD (1, 1a) 1. Sheppard’s Bubbaloo’s Something Special For Shadowview (IMP SLVK) Buff 7 months of good size for his age. Short and compact. Would like to see a little more masculine head on him. Dark eyes and well set ears. Good forechest, sufficient neck. Carrying a little too much weight over his ribs on this day. Well set on tail. Slightly straight in his front angulation, good angles in rear. Hackney movement in front, adequate length of reach from the side. Needs more confidence in the ring.
PGD (2, 1a) 1. Kirkham & Ayto’s Paddington Des Perles Donyx (ATC CHE) Chocolate 22 months. Nice proportions and size. Excellent, well chiselled masculine head with excellent eye colour. Good bite. Well set ears, sufficient neck. Good forechest and ribcage. Slightly high set tail. Sufficient angulation in front, good rear angulation. Lowers himself on the front when moving. Excellent coat and colour, so well groomed. Excellent temperament.
2. Jennings’ Ecclesiastes Marmite Solid Sable 3 years. Masculine in appearance. Quite broad in skull, good muzzle. Excellent bite with large teeth. Slightly short in neck. Excellent forechest, nice body and well set tail that is carried correctly during movement. Sufficient angulation in front, strong rear. Moves in two tracks and slightly restricted from the side. Excellent coat and temperament.
LD (6) 1. Brook & Knapper-Weijland’s Laurent Sundust Now And Forever (IMP USA) Buff 2 years. Excellent size and proportions. Classic head with all the correct breed details where you want them, with dark and full eyes with the loveliest expression there is. Well chiselled under the eyes and excellent broad muzzle. Well set ears. Excellent neck and shoulders coupled with a great forechest. Long upper arm, excellent rib spring and well set tail. Excellent angles both in front and rear. Moves very well from the side with a good topline. Exquisite grooming !
2. Manser’s Toybox It’s A Rap At Nujax Chocolate/tan 21 months. Excellent outline with lovely proportions. Clean back skull with fitting muzzle. Lovely eye colour. Excellent neck and forechest, slightly straight in shoulder. Good rib spring, well set on tail. Would like more reach in his front, OK in rear with good drive. Excellent temperament. Fantastic colour and grooming !
OD (4) 1. Sunter, Sunter & Pinchen’s SHCH Mycalleys Kennedy JW ShCM Buff 4 years. Excellent size and proportions. Masculine head and nice expression, dark soft eyes. Excellent muzzle and bite. Long neck, sufficient forechest, slightly straight in shoulder, good ribcage. Falls off slightly by the croup during movement and carries a gay tail. Moves with sufficient reach and drive from the side. Excellent coat presentation and quality of coat. Excellent temperament.
2. Sheppard’s Bubaloo’s Mr. Bean At Shadowview (IMP SVK) Black 2 years. Masculine dog, slightly long in his proportions. Solid masculine head, dark eyes, slightly heavy lips. Excellent neck, forechest and body. Long in loin. Excellent croup with well set on tail. He moves in a long and easy stride holding his topline. Lovely temperament. Would like to see more finesse in his grooming and coat presentation.
CHD (4, 1a) 1. Bryant, Nelson & Morris’ AM/IR CH/SH CH Silouette Troubling Nasaileen With Mycalleys Black 4 years. Excellent make and shape throughout. Short, compact and up on leg. Refined in head, would prefer a touch more masculinity, but beautiful expression with soft dark eyes. Excellent bite, well set ears. Excellent neck and forechest. Slightly straight in upper arm. Excellent body in tip top muscular condition. Well set and carried tail. Well angulated in rear. He moves coordinated and freely with excellent reach and drive with a wonderful attitude. Exquisite grooming ! Dog CC + Best of Breed/Best In Show
2. Crummey, Atkinson & Yau’s SH Afterglow Life Of Brian Black 2 years. Beautiful silhouette standing with soft flowing lines. Masculine and nicely shaped head, could have a tad darker eyes to soften his expression. OK bite. Well angulated in the front, good rib spring and well set tail. Excellent angulation in the rear. Moving with excellent reach and drive from the side, but break slightly in his topline behind the shoulders. Lovely temperament. Excellent grooming !
VD (1, 1a) 1. Head’s SH CH Saltdean Jimmy Ticket Buff 13 years. Excellent shape and make and in wonderful condition for his age. Beautiful, well chiselled classic head with soft dark eyes. All teeth present and well kept. Excellent neck, sufficient forechest, nice ribs. Well set on and carried tail. Moves coordinated and freely with lovely attitude. Kudos to his owner who is taking such great care of this old man.
Cut down/Puppy Trim SO D (1, 2a) 1. Kingsley’s Joyful Event’s J’Adore Bigtop (IMP RUS) Black/tan.
Simply stunning outline in all parts, standing and moving. Not a long or “groomed” hair on his back to cover up any possible flaws on this dog. Beautiful masculine head in all parts with a soft expression. Well set ears and good bite. Excellent neck and shoulder line coupled with a great forechest, well bodied. Excellent croup and well set tail both standing and moving. Excellent reach and drive, so coordinated and correct. Excellent temperament. If this dog had been in full coat he would have been a strong contender for Best !
Today RDCC + Reserve Best In Show.
MPB (5) 1. Blackwell-Goulding’s Nasailleen Gennifer With Mygilie Buff 6 months. Lovely size and proportions. Ultra-feminine head with beautiful expression. Clean cut skull and good muzzle. Correct bite. Excellent neck, shoulders, forechest and rib spring. Well set and carried tail . Excellent reach and drive from the side with happy tail wagging, lovely temperament.
2. Price’s Pelhamcourt Good Times With Jaclee Black/tan 6 months. Substantial bitch puppy of correct size. Slightly long in profile. Beautiful well shaped head with full muzzle. Long neck, excellent forechest and ribcage, slightly long in the loin. Well set tail. Carries a level topline on the move, good reach and drive. Correct tan markings. Lovely temperament.
PB (4) 1. Price’s Jaclee Heart Of Eternity Buff 9,5 months. Correct size and proportions. Feminine head and expression with full muzzle. Good bite. Excellent neck, shoulders, forechest and ribs. Very stable back with correct set tail. She is moving happily with reach and drive. Lovely temperament and coat. Best Puppy
2. Whincup & Glendinning’s Partisky Vigie Im A Dorothy Red/white 9 months. Excellent size, short and compact. Up on leg. Ultra-feminine head but needs time to develop in muzzle and in chiselling under the eyes. Correct bite. Has a nice forechest and ribcage for her age. Well set tail. Moving freely with coordinated reach and drive. Happy temperament.
JB (5, 1a) 1. Morris & Langton’s Galaksi Dust To Dust At Jennobar (IMP DNK) Red/white 13 months. Lovely classic outline. Beautiful feminine head with lovely expression and full muzzle. Good bite. Correct neck and well laid shoulder, good forechest and ribcage. Well set tail. Moved coordinated with correct reach and drive. Lovely temperament.
2. Bryant & Nelson’s Zarcrest Having A Tantrum With Nasailleen Black/tan 12 months. Lovely compact outline and well up on leg. Softly marked tan. Excellent neck and forechest, slightly straight in shoulder. Good body. A little high in tailset that shows even more when moving. Excellent mover with rock hard topline. Lovely temperament.
MB (1) 1. Price’s Jaclee Heart Of Eternity
GB (1) 1. Mace’s Galaksi Me Me Me (IMP DNK) Red/white 20 months. Lovely size and proportions. Feminine head and expression with dark eyes. Good bite. Slightly high in ear set. Good neck and sufficient forechest, straight in shoulder. Strong back and well set tail. Sufficient angulation in rear. Is moving in a short stride from the side. Happy temperament and beautiful coat.
LB (5, 1a) 1. Jennings’ Alibama Backlash Black 2 years. Excellent proportions. A smaller bitch with a lot of quality. Feminine head, could have some more chiselling under her eyes. Good Muzzle and good bite. Excellent neck, forechest and ribs. Well set tail. Well angulated both front and rear. Moving with a nice topline and happy attitude. Lovely grooming ! RBCC
2. Hume’s Nikomidiyia Game With Magic Black 22 months. Excellent size and proportions. Strong and mature head that I hope will not broaden further. Dark beautiful eyes, well set ears. Good neck and forechest, slightly straight in shoulder. Strong back with slightly high set tail. Moves well from the side with good reach and drive. Lovely temperament.
OB (4) 1. Blackwell-Goulding’s Truly Yours All You Need Is Love At Mygilie Red/white 4 years. What a hidden gem ! Excellent size and proportions, up on leg. Beautiful feminine head, well chiselled under the eyes and full muzzle. Correct bite. Well set ears. Excellent neck and shoulder line, coupled with an excellent forechest and rib spring. Strong back, well set tail. Moves with the correct reach, drive and tailset when both she and her handler puts their mind to it. Correct coat that would need some TLC to really bloom. BCC and SH CH today !
2. White’s Admiral’s Shou A-One In A Million At Tantripp (IMP RUS) Chocolate 3 years. Excellent size and lovely proportions. Beautiful feminine head with good eye colour. Good bite. Well set ears. Good neck, forechest and body. Has a small dip at the onset of tail that shows more when moving. Sufficient angulation in front, well angulated in rear. Sufficient movement from the side. Excellent rich colour. Lovely temperament.
CHB (1) 1. Bryant, Nelson, Caine & Lee’s SH CH Nasailleen Secret Liaison Black 2 years. Excellent size and proportions. Stunning head and expression with dark beautiful full eyes. Excellent full muzzle. Lovely neck and forechest, slightly straight in shoulder. Slightly heavy over the ribs today. Carries a gay tail. Good angulation in the rear. Moves with sufficient reach and drive from the side. Exquisite grooming and coat condition. Lovely temperament.
VB (1, 3a) 1. Dummett’s Almondsbury Domino Dancing ShCM Tricolour 9 years. Excellent size and proportions. Lovely type. Excellent head, well chiselled and soft expression with dark eyes. Good bite. Excellent neck, forechest, ribcage. Strong back and well set tail. Excellent angulation both front and rear. Big coat of excellent quality. Moves freely with lovely reach and drive and a rock solid topline. Lovely temperament. Best Veteran
Cut down/Puppy trim SO B (2, 3a) 1. Knapper-Weijland’s Sundust C’est La Vie Buff 3 years. Excellent size and proportions. Just stunning, classic head with all the breed details required, strong muzzle and dark soft eyes. Excellent neck and forechest, well bodied and well set tail. Excellent angles both in front and rear. Moves with reach and drive from the side. Lovely temperament.
2. Price’s Afrodite Charming Line At Jaclee Tricolour 4,5 years. Substantial girl, slightly long and low on leg. Strong head with good muzzle and dark eyes. Good neck and forechest. Straight in shoulder, good ribcage and croup. Sufficient angulation in rear. Slightly restricted in reach and drive from the side. Lovely temperament.
Special Working/Agility/Obedience bitch
Working B 1. Woolridge’s Donatien Noelle Black 4 years. Excellent size and proportions . Nice head that could have some more chiselling under the eyes. Good muzzle. Excellent neck, shoulders and forechest. Great body and excellent croup and tailset. Carries her tail perfectly on the move. Smooth and free movement that is energy efficient. Lovely temperament.