- Date: 29/09/2019
- Show Type: Championship Show
- Judge: Judith Ashworth Contact Judge
- Published Date: 02/11/2020
OTTERHOUND CLUB CHAMPIONSHIP SHOW
29TH SEPTEMBER, 2019
Thankyou to the Otterhound Club for asking me to judge the Dogs at their show, a real pleasure not having judged the breed for 7 years. I was pleased overall with the presentation, the quality of coats, and particularly all the feet, which are so important in a working hound, were so much better than sometimes in the past. There were some good fronts, but this was not universal. I was surprised at a number of short tails, the bone should reach the hock and this needs care in the future.
SPECIAL WORKING DOG OR BITCH
1. Griffith’s PCOH SEICLON. A 2 yr old b/t dog who I have been impressed with from the ringside in the past, good balanced head, dark eyes with kind expression. Good neck running into well laid shoulders, correct angulation fore and aft, short in loin, good coat, not in his chosen element here but moved out well enough to gain this position.
2. Griffith’s PCOH SIOCLED. Parti colour litter sister to above of very similar type, not quite holding her topline as well and preferred her brother’s head and outlook.
SPECIAL YEARLING DOG
1. Salt, Stringer & Lerego’s TECKELGARTH DREADNOUGHT. Just 1 yr old red grizzle dog, very mature for his age, strong masculine head, with lovely eye, good mouth, leathers just long enough, strong neck, well boned legs to good feet. Good body, ribbed well back into strong broad loin, balanced angulation, moved out well and soundly to take the Dog CC and my co-judge, Mrs Jackie Lindley agreed that he should also be BIS.
2. Lewis’ OLPHAE CHARMAN. 1yr old b/t dog of good type, smaller than one with not quite the same scope on the move, nice head with good depth, nice dark eye, correct ears, well balanced, strong bone, good coat.
3. Finch’s OLPHAE CLAYTON. Litter brother to above and all the same comments apply, very close up, excellent neck, slightly upright in shoulder, a little longer in loin. His young handler showed him really well and if she keeps working with him he will have his day.
POST GRADUATE DOG
1. Griffiths’ PCOH SEISYLLT. Litter brother to the winner of Special Working, had all the same good points but carried stern a little high on the move, otherwise I liked him.
2. Robb & Lerego’s TECKELGARTH CRASSUS. Strongly built 1 yr old parti-colour dog. Good strong chest, balanced angulation was playing around on the move so I felt I did not get to see the best of him.
1. McConville’s OTTARYX OUZEL. Mature 4 yr old b/t dog of good type. Head with correct proportions, good well set leathers, nice dark eye, strong neck set into well laid shoulders, balanced angulation and well muscled all through, good depth of ribs carried well back to strong loin. Carried himself well on the move, but was just not putting all in today.
2. McConville’s OTTARYX COACHMAN. 5 yr old b/t dog made in a smaller mould, good head and good well set leathers, a little upright in shoulder, excellent coat, good short hocks, moved really soundly.
3. Harris’ PCOH SIEBE
4. Ruston’s KEEPCOTT INVINCIBLE
1. Finch’s OTTARYX MARSHALL. 6 yr old b/t dog. Lovely large free moving hound, presenting good outline, a look of strength all through, balanced angulation, pleasing head, leathers only just long enough, good coat and presentation, well handled showing him off to his best. Res CC.
2. Griffiths’ PCOH SEICLON
BEST VETERAN & RBIS awarded to Ganna’s Ch/Ir. Ch KEEPCOTT FLORIN.