- Date: 03/01/2019
- Show Type: Championship Show
- Judge: Jonathan Daltrey Contact Judge
- Published Date: 05/01/2019
Boston & District Canine Society
BOSTON CHAMPIONSHIP SHOW 2019
Thank you for a superb numerical entry for my first appointment judging this lovely breed.
I felt that the dogs today were considerably stronger in quality than the bitches. I was concerned to find many examples of well-constructed fronts with real depth matched with weak & narrow rear assembly and therefore a lack of vitally important balance. I was also disappointed at the lack of real muscle-tone and definition to second thigh on many of the exhibits. Correct movement for a working Gundog breed, of true front action with no flicking-out or toeing-in, matched with real propulsion and drive from well-angulated and well-muscled quarters of good width was missing on many throughout the day. As a consequence I found far too many unacceptable examples of close rear action and flicking-out and toeing-in fronts prevailing in many classes to the point that I felt that I had no option but to withhold the prestigious Kennel Club Stud Book qualification award for all bar the first placed in the Open Bitch class.
On a positive note I must make special mention of the strength of the minor puppy and puppy classes in both sexes and a fantastic Yearling dog class where I was utterly spoilt for choice, and which bodes well for the future. I was very pleased with my main winners and only wished that I had had at least half a dozen DOG Challenge Certificates to award, such was the excellence of the males.
MINOR PUPPY DOG (7)
1. XANTHOS FUTTERWACKEN, what a lovely start to the day with such a find! This baby, brimming full of potential headed a lovely quality class. He is masculine with no coarseness, has the most intelligent of dark eyes, super bone and feet, wonderful tail-set and carriage and the most perfect of rear assemblies. Totally balanced, he is a cracking and easy mover, and was my BPIB!
2. SUMMERAMBA JERABOAM, another youngster with real kerb appeal. He too has a lovely front with excellent tight feet, a long and well-angulated upper arm and has an exceptional side-gait for one so young.
3. MONCHIQUE IMPERIAL BEAU AT EMMABE, completing a superb trio for the future.
1. XANTHOS FUTTERWACKEN
2. MERIMOOR OUTLANDER AT DORWINION, another exciting prospect with lots to like. He scores in head and outline with wonderful feet. A little longer cast and just needs to fill his frame and obviously has time on his side. A very clean mover, I liked him a lot.
3. MONCHIQUE IMPERIAL BEAU AT EMMABE
JUNIOR DOG (12,4)
1. TENFIELD REX IMPERATOR, he and the second dog stood away in this disappointing class. He is a lovely headed youngster who still needs time to drop and fill out and has plenty of time to do so. I loved his expression and his overall balance. He was in hard condition and moved accurately and with real propulsion from muscled quarters. He is most definitely one for the future.
2. CORNBOROUGH’S POACHERS MOON, another good one with an equally appealing head and eye. He too has excellent balance with good depth to fore-chest and a lovely level top-line. On the move I found that he was just a touch weaker than the winner going away.
3. GRACELEIGH POPEYE.
YEARLING DOG (13,1)
1. PUTJADE PAY THE PIPER AT MALENBROOK JW. Heading a magical class and a real privilege to judge, this youngster put up a faultless performance. He has a super balanced and masculine head with a keen eye. A good size dog, he has a correct flow of clean neck into well-laid shoulder and a good top-line and tail-set. With wonderful bone, excellent feet and outstanding quarters he moved effortlessly and with minimum exertion, covering the ground with style at a steady pace, looking like he could do a day of work with ease. Although still young, I was pleased to award him the CC in very good company.
2. QUITE SOME LEGEND OF SUNSHINE’S VALLEY (BELG J CH). An elegant and very stylish youngster with a super head and expression. He has excellent flow and a lovely balanced outline. Good for front construction with an equally well-made rear, he holds a firm top-line with correct tail-set and carriage and he too moved with panache and precision. Res CC.
3. CHINNORDALE CUE CARD, completing a strong trio with two other super dogs behind him.
GRADUATE DOG (10,3)
1. SERENDIPITY DOG PRINCIPE JAMES CON ROSGAR JW. A lot of dog in a slightly smaller package and so correct in every way. I loved his head and expression, his ultra- firm top-line, excellent bone and perfect feet. Driving away from well-muscled quarters of the correct width he was accurate both ways and showed true extension in side-gait. I liked this dog a lot.
2. GLOI U’KNOW WHO JW. Another excellent and typey youngster with a lovely head. Great for size with excellent feet, he too moved with real purpose, if a touch proud of his tail.
3. AMILONE JABBERWOCKY BY TANNADICE
POST GRADUATE DOG (7, 1)
1. STANROPH SUPERSTRAVAGENTE AT SHIRESMILL JW. This was a clear win for this dog here. I found him to be an exciting and precise side-gaiter with true accuracy both ways. He has a good male head, dark eye, good shoulders and depth, a strong level top-line with good tail usage.
2. RHEINCROFT DONE’N DUSTED. A good type with a masculine head and keen expression. I liked his perfect feet, strong top-line and he too moved with style and accuracy.
3. WYNRITA KEEP A DREAM
LIMIT DOG (17,6)
1. JAYMARDY INDIGO PACIFIC JW. This dog headed another really strong class and impressed me greatly. I loved his size and total balance. He has a super head and expressive eye and is clean through the neck and shoulders holding a spot-on top-line with perfect tail-set and carriage. His rear quarters are a joy and he used them to advantage, really driving away with accuracy and once settled side-gaited like the best of them. He was close-up for top honours.
2. XANTHOS BULLET PROOF JW. A slightly smaller male but brimming full of quality with an awful lot to like. Another totally balanced dog with a great front and tight cat-like feet, strong for top-line and accuracy both ways and showing some good profile extension. I thought that the winner just had the edge on muscle-tone today.
3. CALAROSE OVER THE MOON JW
OPEN DOG (6,1)
1. SH CH THORNYWAIT SAN VALENTINO JW ShCM. I loved this dog for breed type, outline, flow and total balance. Presented to perfection and handled sympathetically he has a lovely front construction, a super head and eye, excellent top-line, tail-set, carriage and usage. He has excellent quarters and moved very well. In the challenge, although he really is the ‘finished’ article, I just felt that the Yearling dogs had the extra ‘oomph’ and he was really unlucky to meet them on such top form.
2. RAMCHAINE FABULICIOUS JW ShCM. Another good one with a super top-line and is well-made throughout and was in cracking condition. Moving with accuracy and real drive he was just a touch proud of his tail.
3. SH CH FENWOOD ELL MASTERPIECE AT BLUEWATERS JW, completing a trio of superb dogs.
VETERAN DOG (4,1)
1. ROSINANTE LOVERBOY BY TANNADICE JW. I liked the outline and balance of this boy. He is an enthusiastic, positive and accurate mover in all directions. He has a masculine head with lovely eyes and was shown in immaculate hard condition, a credit to his owners.
2. TENFILED COMMANDER IN CHIEF JW, a good match to the winner, another lovely shape and classically put together dog. He has the kindest of expressions, a lovely front with tight feet and a strong top-line. He moved soundly and with style.
3. SH CH LAMANCHA IN SEARCH OF PYE JW ShCM.
SPEC BEGINNERS DOG (4,1)
1. MERIMOOR OUTLANDER AT DORWINION, Best Special Beginner in Breed.
2. WYLLOH ROYAL DOULTON JW ShCM. A dog that I have done well as a youngster with lots to like. Today he was just flying his tail which spoils his outline.
3. HAYDENGOLD ROCK STAR AT SUNANDAIR JW
GOOD CITIZEN DOG OR BITCH (6)
1. KISS ME KNOW. A classic bitch, ultra-feminine and handled well to maximise her potential she moved out well if a touch lower than ideal at the croup.
2. TSARMONT STAR QUALITY. A sound and happy mover who is still on the raw side and needs to fill her frame and grow, but has lots to like and has time on her side.
3. TSARMONT LAKESIDE STAR
MINOR PUPPY BITCH (17,6)
1. THORNYWAIT ABSOLUTELY FAB. A lovely puppy with a really super head, fabulous upper arm with really good depth for age. She has great freedom in her action, holds a strong top-line and has lovely feet. Mature and with total balance she looked a picture when stood correctly. She must have a bright future. Best Puppy Bitch.
2. FLORENTINE V D CORNER BROOK. Another with great scope, ultra- pretty who just needs time to fill her frame. She is quite superb in side-gait and is ultra sound both ways.
3. THORNYWAIT TOP NOTCH FOR BERRYMEADE. Litter sister to the winner with very similar remarks.
PUPPY BITCH (19,6)
1. HALEBOURNE FIRST PRIMROSE. A lovely headed baby, mature for her age and in good jacket with outstanding muscle-tone and definition. An ultra-true mover, she has lovely feet and a perfect top-line and tail-set.
2. FLORENTINE V D CORNER BROOK
3. CALAROSE PRECIOUS GEM. Completing a trio of good future prospects.
JUNIOR BITCH (14,3)
1. TERRA DI SIENA ARE YOU WITH ME BERRYMEADE. I really liked this youngster. She impressed me greatly for her shape and total balance. She has the best of flowing outlines, is classically feminine with lovely bone, top-line tail and set and is a very free and accurate mover. I considered her for top honours and she is one for the future is she continues to mature on these superb lines.
2. LARGYMORE LINGERING LOOK. I thought that this bitch might be my winner on initial perusal as she impresses greatly with her lovely shape and flowing outline. Many of the remarks of the winner apply here too, and I think that these two really did stand away in this class. She wasn’t just quite as settled on the up and down as the winner today.
3. TENFILED ALCOR
YEARLING BITCH (16,6)
1. QUAKERHALL PANDORA’S BOUNTY JW. Wow…my notes say FAB! I thought that this youngster stood away in every department. I loved her femininity, her total balance and super flow from head to toe. She has so much scope of the move, like the Yearling dog, so easy and so positive. She was presented in tip-top, hard muscled condition and was ultra-accurate coming and going. She screams quality and I couldn’t ignore her. I was pleased to award her the Bitch CC and BOB.
2. QUEEN V D CORNER BROOK LUX JCH. Another very good type also with great flow, super top-line, tail-set and carriage. She has superb depth, lovely tight feet a great fore-hand and is the soundest of movers.
3. LARGYMORE LINGERING LOOK
GRADUATE BITCH (9,2)
1. GLOI UNCHAINED MELODY JW. I had the privilege of judging this bitch as a raw puppy at Cheshire and I was pleased to see that she has fulfilled the early potential that I saw then. She stood away in this class for balance and outline, top-line and tail-set. She is a powerful and sound mover, driving away from well-muscled quarters.
2. GOLDMARKER LUMINARA 3. LINIRGOR TEACHER’S PER AT TREEVEVILLE JW
POST GRADUATE BITCH (12,5) 1. DESIDERIO PASO DOBLE. Another clear winner here for me, she scream breed type and has the best of classically feminine heads. I liked her bone, feet, front assembly and top-line. She was in very well-muscled condition, with great definition to her rear quarters with good second thigh. She moved with elegance and style to take the Res CC.
2. QUEEN V D CORNER BROOK LUX JCH
3. MESSANO FLAMING STAR JW
LIMIT BITCH (15,7)
1. JAYMARDY HIDDEN SECRET JW. Substantially made, this bitch has great depth with a lovely head and clean and expressive eye. Well off for bone, she holds a good top-line is totally balanced and is well made behind to match her lovely front. She moved out with style and was close up for top honours.
2. KULAWAND FINAL FRONTIER JW. Another very good and very typey bitch presented in superb condition and wonderful jacket. Many of the above remarks apply to her too, but I thought that she was just a touch less fluid on the move.
3. ROJILLAIR EVENING MAGIC OF ODARLA JW, completing a good trio.
OPEN BITCH (10,4)
1. ALIBREN TIGGY WIGGY JW. I thought that this bitch stood away and holds herself well stood and on the move. She has a well-constructed front, has lovely bone and excellent feet. Shown in good coat and condition she is balanced throughout with a level top-line and moved true.
VETERAN BITCH (7,1)
1. SH CH MOSSBURN EVA MINDFOOL JW ShCM. For her age she is quite special, and she presents a lovely outline of a true Golden Retriever with classic flow. She is so feminine and moves with accuracy and precision. Best Veteran in Breed.
2. TENFIELD SEA THE STARS JW. This bitch was close up and has lots to like too. Very feminine and in lovely condition, she moved and showed well.
3. JOBEKA JUST A JEM AT FORBENDALE
SPECIAL BEGINNERS BITCH (5,1)
1. WYLLOH CLARICE CLIFF JW. A very feminine and very sound bitch with a good top-line, tail-set and carriage. A little out of jacket today, but she moved well enough to take this class.
2. AMYSBURY ASHISHA JW, another good one, VHC in the Limit class, and a sound and happy mover with a classically feminine head and lovely expressive eye.
3. ROCKAMOKE WIND DREAMER
JONATHAN B DALTREY (JUDGE)