- Date: 06/05/2018
- Show Type: Open/Limited/Sanction
- Judge: James Newton Contact Judge
- Published Date: 07/04/2019
South Of England Gundog Club
South of England Gundog Club (06/05/18)
Many thanks to the committee for inviting me to judge at your show. The weather was glorious and the outdoor ring was super. My thanks must also go to my steward for her efficient and courteous job and to all who entered and attended. It was rather unfortunate that there was some unsportsmanlike comments made by an exhibitor after judging today. Exhibitors should be reminded that these comments should be saved for the car journey home.
Gordon Setter Puppy (2,2)
Gordon Setter Special Yearling (3,1)
1) Bryant & Danks-Kemish’s, Kilnrae Hallmark. An excellent 17 month old dog who immediately appealed for his correct size and excellent breed type. Correctly proportioned head of good strength with wonderful dark eye and low ear set. His good reach of neck flowed into an excellent forehand assembly with good forechest for age. Well boned limbs with good feet, although tan could be a little clearer. Well bodied for age with excellent topline onto a slightly steep croup but with a correct tail set. Excellent hind angulation. A fraction close going and coming with an excellent side gait retaining his shape. In super coat and condition. Very pleased to award him BOB, I heard later that this gave him his final JW point, congratulations!
2) Britton’s, Graylacier Portreath. A upstanding 2 year old male who is very raw at present, should improve with time. His head was well proportioned although a shade broad across his backskull. He has beautiful dark eyes and a low ear set. Good reach of neck. He has good bone and lovely feet with clearer tan than 1. Needs to body up and spring in rib. He is moderately angled both fore and aft with a firm topline. His croup was slightly steeper than 1. Good going away and a little close coming. Balanced in profile with very good tail action.
Gordon Setter Post Graduate (3,0)
1) Bryant & Danks-Kemish’s, Kilnrae Hallmark.
2) Johnston’s, Gordon-Sett Style Heartbreaker for Glenquin (Imp). 3 year old male of correct size and breed type although more compact in proportions to 1. Head is strong and well proportioned with a dark eye and good earset. Good reach of neck. Moderately angled forehand with decent forechest. Well bodied with good spring of rib. Strong topline onto a slightly longer and steeper croup than 1. Very good hind angulation. A touch lose coming with the best hind action of the entry. Uses himself well in profile moving with great style and a lashing tail action. Pushed 1 all the way, excellent coat presentation and good rapport with his handler.
Gordon Setter Open (3,0)
1) Johnston’s, Laurelhach Lightning at Glenquin. 8 year old bitch of longer cast who belies her age. Liked her overall type and obvious femininity. Beautiful head and expression of good proportions. Good shape and shade of eye with a low ear set although would prefer a slightly better stop. Excellent reach of neck onto a super forehand assembly with good forechest. Excellent spring of rib, a shade long in loin. Would prefer her less rounded over her croup. Very good hind angulation. Good going away although a touch lose coming with a stylish side gait. Excellent coat presentation, she tended to lose her topline a little on the move and had to settle for RBOB/BOS today, congratulations!
2) Tye’s, Kyuna Olympic Arrow of Tymora ShCM. 5 year old male of moderate size and good shape. While his head possessed the correct planes I would prefer him a little stronger. Good reach of neck onto a moderately angled forehand assembly. Good body and spring of rib, firm topline with good croup and tailset. Nice hind angles. A shade close both ways with a stylish side gait, another with good coat presentation!
Chesapeake Bay Retriever Junior (0,0)
Chesapeake Bay Retriever Post Graduate (1,0)
1) Mayhew’s, Arnac Bay Curlew. 7 year old brown Bitch of excellent breed type and proportions. Her head needs a bit more strength and refinement but has a nice shape and shade of eye with neat highly set ears. Good reach of neck onto an excellent forehand assembly with well developed forechest. Excellent bone and lovely feet, super spring of rib with correct topline and short loin. Correct tuck up. Balanced hind angulation. A shade close going away, correct coming and showed an excellent side gait. In very good coat, very pleased to award her BOB.
Chesapeake Bay Retriever Open (1,0)
1) Mayhew, Arnac Bay Brooklyn. A superb 10 year old brown bitch! Excellent breed type and proportions. Her head has a feminine expression but a little broad across her skull. High set ears of good size. Excellent angulation fore and aft, although presented a little heavy today her topline was correct. Slightly close going away and correct coming towards with a balanced side gait. Her coat was on the blow but the density and texture is one of the best coats I have seen for a long time! RBOB, congratulations!
Curly Coated Retriever Junior (0,0)
Curly Coated Retriever Post Graduate (1,0)
1) Jones’, Lizallwood Hello Again. 2 year old black bitch. Presenting a very pleasing shape and good proportions. Correct wedge shaped head with an ultra feminine expression. Super reach of neck onto very good forehand assembly and forechest. Straight well boned legs and excellent feet. Needs time to spring a little more in rib but this can still come with maturity. Firm topline onto a short loin and good underline. She had excellent hind angulation and tail set. An excellent mover from all angles with lovely deportment. In super coat, I shall watch her with interest, thought her to be delightful! BOB, congratulations!
Curly Coated Retriever Open (0,0)
Judge: James Newton (Patamoke)