- Date: 09/09/2018
- Show Type: Open/Limited/Sanction
- Judge: Helen Almey Contact Judge
- Published Date: 07/04/2019
Lagotto Romagnolo Association
I would like to thank the Lagotto Romagnolo Associaltion for the honour of judging your club show. To judge any club show is a real privilege , when it is not a breed you own or show it is even more special. The committee & exhibitors made the day so memorable. I would also like to give enormous thanks to my fantastic ring steward – if she wishes to “stalk” me & come anywhere I am judging I would be delighted, so efficient & a great sense of humour, all the credentials!
With a small showing population I have been deliberately keeping away from UK rings , instead doing my breed studying in Europe, as I wanted to come to this appointment with a “fresh eye”. Over all I was impressed at the quality of the dogs; all were sound, mouths were good and temperaments generally excellent. The couple of dogs that were less confident were clearly less experienced in the show ring & I am sure with practice will get there. It was lovely to see such a mixture of experienced & newer enthusiasts , this augers well for the breed.
BIS was the lovely EMROCHE BORGHESA AT TIMTAURN, shown in peak condition she has so many correct breed characteristics, beautifully presented and showing & moving to perfection. She was, however, pushed by the RBIS her lovely mother GAESTEN CANNA CIA AT EMMROCHE who at 14 yrs is such an ambassador for the breed . Some people have a weakness for puppies – I have to confess in my case it is veterans all the way & I had to really put my head over my heart in this decision! BOS & BPIS was CRISPINO DELLA CAVEJA – this young man really catches the eye for his overall quality & charming outgoing temperament. I look forward to seeing how he develops.
Puppy Dog (2,0)
1. Ferguson’s CRISPINO DELLA CAVEJA- a very promising young man of 9 mths with excellent balance & very pleasing proportions, loved his masculine head with a very nice expression, correctly angulated fore & aft. Moved out with excellent drive, holding his topline with good tail carriage. A little wide in front at the moment but I was happy to forgive this today because of his age. Kept showing with enthusiasm & confidence & in the end , was a bit more of the “complete package “ for me than the older boys so BD, BPIS & BOS
2. Pigden’s EMMROCHE CANTANDO, a month younger & less developed . A bigger boy he needs time to grow into himself but he has much to like. Balanced head , slightly longer in muzzle with a good mouth. Very nice front, sufficient angulation. He moved with drive. Beautifully presented.
Junior D (5,2)
I think after every show as a judge there is one class that you dwell on well after the journey home. This was mine! Certainly the most difficult class of the day.
1. Tollerfield’s GAESTEN TOP TINKER – 16 mths, very different in type to the other 2 this boy certainly fulfilled the rustic description. A dog that I think has to be handled to be appreciated, he didn’t have the showmanship of the 2 behind and doesn’t really make the most of himself. Masculine head with a pleasing expression, Correct neck, well developed body, would like him just a fraction shorter in back. He excels in shoulder & stifle & really moved out well with accuracy & drive. It was this that swayed the decision.
2. Nelson, Ferguson & Barker’s MIZANI DIORO OVER SAVIO – 15 mths a really promising boy & I really liked his type & proportions. I found his head & expression particularly appealing. Looking a little teenage (as to be expected at this age) and not moving with the accuracy of 1 today - rather close behind, although he has plenty of time in this department. Beautifully presented correct coat.
3. McAllister’s MIZANI DIORBE of SLOVAKIA –1/2 brother to 2 and similar in many ways. Although he has a good front , he doesn’t quite have the shoulder angulation of his brother. Shown & presented to advantage.
Novice D (2,0)
1. Goddard’s SWEET RIVERDANCE PIPING THE SIDE - a bit surprised to find this boy in Novice . Masculine with nice balance , generally well made with adequate angulation front & aft. I particularly noted his correct bone and well shaped feet. Moving really well today, accurate & covering the ground well. RBD
2. Pateson & Paterson’s FULLFORGE FINE & DANDY – what a character this yearling is, he was a real pleasure to judge! Masculine head with a nice eye & an expression that certainly showed his personality. Not that easy to assess and is movement needs working on , he was well presented & in good condition. A bit of a clown but one I would love on my sofa .
Post Graduate D (5, 3)
1. Grantham’s MIZANI DOROCCO RAFFAELE – 3 yrs of correct size . masculine balanced head, a little longer in muzzle than some. Well shaped eye & pleasing expression, good neck flowing into good topline, would like a fraction shorter in back. Sufficient shoulder & rear angulation . Stood with a good front but moving a bit out at elbow. Good drive covering the ground well.
2. FULLFORGE FINE & DANDY
1. FULLFORGE FINE & DANDY
Good Citizens Dog (1,0)
1. FULLFORGE FINE & DANDY – perseverance paying off & he was beginning to keep 4 feet on the ground at times . Well done!
Veteran B (1,0)
1. Laroche’s GAESTEN CANNA CIA AT EMMROCHE – I wrote Beautiful in my judging book – not a word I often use , but it absolutely applies in this case. I’m not sure I can write a dispassionate critique about this bitch. Any criticism would be an insult to one of the most impressive veterans I have ever had the pleasure to judge. Absolutely feminine she has beautiful balance , correct height to back ratio. Good angulation. Still holds her topline. I also wrote “best movement yet” – so accurate with no sign of age. Add to this a charming and, quite correctly, diva temperament ! She certainly demanded you looked at her! A real credit to her whole team. BV, RBB, RBIS
Puppy B (1,0)
1. Deblasi’s MOONREED BELLA – from Distinguished veteran to absolute beginner! 6 mths & 1 day , I was honoured to be her first “judge” Such a promising young lady , feminine head , correct body proportions for age , good neck, excellent shoulder , good stifle with correct second thigh. Needs to tighten in movement as one would expect but she has amazing drive & covers the ground well. Coped so well with the “whole showing thing” & gained in confidence as time went on. Certainly didn’t make it a pushover for the dog to take BPIS. Will look forward to seeing how she develops.
Junior B (3,0)
1. Monk’s MIZANI DIORO OF VIENNA - 15 ths , promising teenager , feminine head with a good eye & appealing expression, correct length of neck, well angulated shoulder, good narrow front, good length of back with correct rib. Good hind angulation, moved well.
2. Grantham;s MIZANI DIORA ROSE – not surprisingly of similar type to winner. Pleasing eyes with good earset. Good neck & topline, good front. Body development correct for age . Not quite the hind angulation of 1 & moving a bit close behind.
3. Golby’s GI JANE INSIGNIS NATURA DA CASALI (Imp HRV) – nearly 18 mths , a slightly heavier type than the 2 above , in good coat & body condition, not the angulation of those above. Very happy bitch who was trying really hard. With experience the whole team here will relax a little more.
Novice B (1,1)
Post Graduate B (2,0)
1. Goddard’s SWEET RIVERDANCE NOBLE HEARTED NERISSA – typical bitch, head of good proportions, balanced with a good neck to back ratio, sufficient angulation fore & aft. Carrying a bit of extra body condition today which was affecting her front.
2. Laroche’s TIMTAURN TARRICA AT EMMROCHE – sweet bitch with a pleasing had an expression , correct depth of body & sufficient angulation. A little longer coupled than ideal. Moving OK but lacking a bit of reach.
Open B (8,4)
1. Stephenson’s EMROCHE BORGHESA AT TIMTAURN – My star of the day, takes your eye the minute she comes into the ring. Oozes Lagotto type & you really get the impression she could work all day. Lovely balanced outline with correct length of leg, correct front construction with an excellent rib & good shoulder, Strong topline, short coupled , excellent rear angulation with a good 2nd thigh. Moved out well , accurate with drive. Finish this off with a very well balanced head with correct eye & ear set & a feminine intelligent expression & today she was the whole package. BB & BIS.
2. Deblasi’s MIANATRA BOUND TO BE BLOSSOM – a feminine bitch with an air of quality. I liked her head & eye, nice size, good rib , good length of back . A little short in neck & could do with slightly more shoulder angulation but OK behind. Really showed herself off & was moving with drive & enthusiasm. Well presented coat in good condition.
3. Mcallister’s HOPKILN GREAT BEATRICE - Mature bitch who was certainly enjoying her day out. A bigger rangier bitch than the 2 above she has good bone & a good shoulder & stifle . Moved out with drive.
Good Citizen B (1.1)
Helen Almey (Judge)