- Date: 21/07/2018
- Show Type: Open/Limited/Sanction
- Judge: Gary Dybdall Contact Judge
- Published Date: 02/11/2020
Bakewell Agricultural & Horticultural Society
Bakewell Agricultural & Horticultural Society Premier Open Show
Bernese Mountain Dogs.
Thank you to the committee for inviting me to judge and to my steward, Peter Bakewell, with a rather fitting name for assisting in the smooth running of the ring. A quality entry, rather than quantity, with 3 Bernese all worthy of CC’s bred by the same well-known and experienced breeder.
Junior (1 Entry, 1 absent)
Post Graduate (1)
1. Griffiths, Orme & Miles’ Jaybiem With N’Without Y’Zeus JW. 2 year old handsome male of good type and correct proportions. Strong muzzle and good breadth of skull with well-defined stop. Medium length of neck, moderate shoulder and upper-arm angles leading into straight front legs and gently sloping pasterns. Bone in proportion to size and tight cat-like feet. Level topline, broad back and sturdy body in good condition. Well-rounded rump and correct tail-set. Balanced rear-angulation, well-muscled and short sturdy hocks. A little out of coat today but hiding nothing and moved well from all angles with an easy, active stride, driving from the rear. Happy to award RBOB.
Two lovely bitches.
1. Miles’ Jaybiem Burli Shassi JW. 2 ½ year old typey bitch with a beautiful outline and naturally stands four square. In good condition, not overdone in anyway and looking just right for her age. Coat on the way back, lovely rich colouring and pigment. Clean head and expression with strong muzzle and neat medium sized ears. Would prefer slightly darker eye but almond-shaped with well-fitting lids. Good length of neck, shoulder placement could be a little better, but good length of upper-arm and correct width of chest. Strong bone, straight front legs and tight, cat-like feet. Good depth of chest and enough breadth of body. Firm topline and strong loin with just enough length of body to allow for easy, efficient movement. Well-rounded rump and correct tail-set. Well-angulated rear, leading into firm, sturdy hocks. Moved well, powered around the ring, driving from her rear and extending in profile. One to watch. Pleased to award her BOB and congratulations on going on to win Group 3.
2. Miles’ Jaybiem My My My JW. Another typey 2 year old shapely bitch who looked a picture standing. Strong, yet feminine head with broad, straight muzzle, well defined stop and good breadth of skull. Dark almond-shaped eye and pretty expression. Medium length of neck, well-laid shoulder and ok for upper-arm. Straight front legs, slightly sloping pasterns and tight, round feet. Compact and sturdy bitch with a broad back and good depth of chest. Level topline, firm loin and well-rounded rump, again correct tail-set and carriage. Moderate rear angles and firm, well-let down hocks. In full bloom and initially thought she would have been the winner, but did herself no justice on the move today lacking the drive and extension of her kennelmates. Still, clean coming and going.
Gary Dybdall BVM&S MRCVS (Rodiveco/Meadowpark)