- Date: 27/04/2018
- Show Type: Championship Show
- Judge: Derek T C Sharpe Contact Judge
- Published Date: 07/04/2019
West Of England Ladies Kennel Society
I would like to thank the Committee for the honour of Judging at this show. Special thanks are also due to my two stewards for keeping the ring running smoothly.
As a ‘Category 2’ breed special attention was given to the salient Breed Watch points and I am pleased to report that all dogs were visibly ‘fit for function’. Movement has improved over the last decade and the Bassets judged showed a nice clean outline with plenty of ground clearance. Dogs and handlers appreciated the larger ring which showed off the dogs’ movement to advantage. I found the eye shape and size to be correct with no excessive ‘haw’ evident.
Minor Puppy Dog (3,1)
1. Shadbolt’s Sedonia’s Ambassador Of Akura. 8 month Tri, good head with pronounced occiput, calm expression with dark eye and correct length of leathers. Correct bite, tight feet, good topline and tailset. Moved well.
2. Melbourne & Murray’s Diheath Baldrick. Substantial 8 month R/W. Good front and length of body. Carried tail well. Very lively making handler work hard.
Puppy Dog (3,1)
1. Hirst, Melbourne & Walker’s Diheath Really Cosmic At Kejana. 9 month Tri with dark eye, correct bite and length of leathers, tight feet, well rounded ribcage, hocks well let down, level topline held on the move. Best Puppy Dog.
2. Weston’s Longmynd Zodiac. 9 month old Tri with nicely defined occiput, dark eye, good front, good bend of stifle. Nice length of body but would prefer a slightly longer ribcage. Moved well.
Post Graduate Dog (6,1)
1. Seddon’s Sedonia’s Cosworth. 2 yr old R/W with calm expression. Muzzle and head with good planes, correct bite, prominent sternum with good shoulders, tight elbows. Good length of body with level topline kept on the move. Hocks well let down with stifles well bent giving good drive from the rear. Res CC.
2. Freer’s Switherland Lauralee Emperor Red. Another 2 yr old R/W with lovely head, eyes giving a soft appealing expression, scissor bite, good front and shoulders, tight feet. Strong and long body with good spring and length of rib. Carried tail correctly on the move. Very close decision between 1 & 2.
3. Melbourne & Murray’s Diheath Wreckless Eric.
Res. Pearson’s Armardio Angel Of Harlem By Malrich.
VHC. Williams’ Newdown Xavier-Xantos At Bromp (Imp Neth).
Limit Dog (5,2)
1. Hirst’s Diheath Bob Dylan At Kejana ShCM. Tri of six yrs with soft, correctly set, curling leathers, good bite, prominent sternum, tight feet, strong neck with shoulders well laid back, well rounded ribcage, powerful rear quarters, good bend of stifle and hocks well let down. Moved with plenty of drive from the rear keeping topline level. CC & Best Opposite Sex.
2. Williams’ Bromp Brian Smart. R/W of 18 months, good head, dark eye, ear set correct, scissor bite, good feet, nice lay of shoulders. Liked length of body and ribcage, correct tail set, hocks well let down with good bend of stifle. Seemed a bit unsettled in the ring today.
3. Feetham’s Kimbleholme Magic Man.
Open Dog (3,0)
All three dogs could easily change places on another day.
1. Seddon’s Ch Sedonia’s Royal Intruder. Lovely Tri with calm expression, dark eye, correct bite, good front, tight feet, level topline leading to correct tail carriage. Good bend of stifle, moved well.
2. Freer’s Ch/ITA Ch Switherland Smart Image. Red and white with a lovely head and expression, long neck, well laid shoulders, prominent sternum, good front, tight feet. Good spring of ribs and length of body, tail set correct, excellent rear quarters. Moved with drive.
3. Armstrong’s Ch Lauralee Code Red.
Special Beginners Dog (1,0)
1. Robinson’s Bushoby The Architect. R/W almost three years old, lovely head, correct bite, good length of neck, prominent sternum, good spring of ribs, level topline kept on the move, correct tail set and moved with plenty of drive. Best Special Beginners.
Veteran Bitch (3,0)
1. Hirst’s Dereheath Delilah At Kejana ShCM. Despite being over 11 yrs old she still manages to move like a train around the ring and seems to revel in showing. Calm feminine expression, dark eyes, well set ears, good reach of neck, prominent sternum, good ribs, level top line, correct tail set, rear quarters driving well.
2. Ledward’s Drawdell’s Lady De Winter. 7 yr old out of a larger mould than 1 but in proportion. Defined occiput, kind eye, good front, tight feet, nicely rounded ribs, good bend of stifle and hocks well let down. Moved well.
3. Beckett’s Woferlow Tickety Boo At Beckeshounds.
Minor Puppy Bitch (3,1)
1. Seddon’s Sedonia’s Infiniti. 7 month old Tri with kind sweet expression, dark eye, good bite, well laid shoulders, good ribs and rear quarters. Still young and maturing. Will watch this bitch with interest. Best Puppy Bitch & Best Puppy in Breed.
2. Williams’ Bromp Bertha Brown. R/W just 6 months old. Larger mould than 1 but nicely in proportion. Feminine head, tight feet, good length of body. Being very much a puppy and giving her handler a hard time!
Puppy Bitch (5,1)
1. Williams’ Lola Brown. Litter sister to second in previous class and a bit more settled. Feminine head, correct bite, leathers fine, curling and soft, tight feet, good ribcage, level topline. Moved well.
2. Hudson & Melbourne’s Diheath Bob. 8 month old R/W with lovely profile, kind expression, correct bite, tight feet, well rounded ribs, strong body. Moved well once settled.
3. Danel’s Wellsbayview Anne Power At Bazbourne.
Res. Price’s Wellsbayview Rock On Ruby.
Junior Bitch (3,0)
1. Hards & Jones’ Clanwillow Amber Delight For Braemoray. 14 month old R/W showing great promise. Lovely head with dark eye and kind expression, prominent sternum, good front, tight feet, correct tail carriage, hocks well let down. Level topline, held on the move.
2. Archer’s Roamanbay Red Head. 16 month old R/W, feminine head with sweet expression, dark eye, correct scissor bite, neat elbows, well rounded ribcage, good bend of stifle. Moved well.
3. Robinson’s Bushoby A Newbreak.
Yearling Bitch (3,1)
1. Cartwright & Williams’ Bromp Miss Velvet At Longmynd. Very calm and feminine looking 18 month Tri with good occiput, correct bite, tight feet, good length of rib, level topline. Moved well.
2. Meldrum’s Kimbleholme Dreamkeeper At Rumbleton. Well presented R/W almost two years old. A nicely proportioned bitch. Good occiput, scissor bite, pronounced sternum, correct length of rib, level topline leading to strong rear quarters. Hocks well let down, moved with purpose.
Post Graduate Bitch (3,0)
1. Freudenreich’s Malrich Puss N Boots. R/W with a very pleasing head, good occiput, tidy front and good feet. Nicely laid shoulders, well rounded ribs, hocks well let down. Handler moved at just the right pace.
2. Fryer, Storton & Melbourne’s Diheath Steffi. Substantial bitch with good head, dark eye, low set ears, correct bite, strong arched neck, pronounced sternum, shoulders laid back, level topline, good spring of rib, tail set correct, good bend of stifle. Moved well.
3. Beckett’s Sedonia’s Bumblebee At Beckshounds.
Limit Bitch (9,4)
1. Freer’s Switherland Lauralee Paint The Town Red. Quality 2 year old Tri, well proportioned head with prominent occiput, dark eye, correct bite. Good sternum, well laid shoulder, tight feet. Strong, well rounded ribs on a good body length, powerful rear quarters driving her forward. Held topline level on the move. RCC.
2. Feetham’s Kimbleholme Dream Maker. Tri of almost 2 years, feminine head with soft expression, dark eye, tight feet, shoulders nicely laid back, level topline, good spring of rib, tail set correct, hocks well let down. Moved well.
3. Thexton’s Barrenger Harmony.
Res. Brown’s Roamanbay Raisa Of St Hubert.
VHC. Storton, Melbourne, Isted & Murray’s Diheath Conchita.
Open Bitch (7,1)
1. Ch Switherland Smart Alice. Always admired this bitch from the ringside and was not disappointed when I went over her. Immaculately presented Tri with pronounced occiput, clean dark eye, good stop and planes, curled supple leathers, correct bite, tight elbows and knuckled feet. Long, well rounded ribcage, strong back leading to powerful rear quarters with correct tail carriage, good bend of stifle and hocks well let down. Moved with enthusiasm and drive keeping topline level. CC & BOB.
2. Seddon’s Sedonia’s Dawn Treader. Five year old R/W, good head with kind expression, correct bite, nicely laid shoulders, tight feet. Good length of body and spring of rib. Moved with drive around ring keeping topline level.
3. Seddon’s Woferlow Christabel.
Res. Archer’s Roamanbay Russian About.
VHC. Ledward’s Ch Drawdell’s Marilyn Morrison.
DEREK SHARPE (Judge)